(iWIDK By Allie Beauregard) – In a case of accidental malpractice, a woman’s cosmetic mishap became internal.
A 60-year-old woman was having oral surgery performed at Västmanland County Hospital in Västerås, Sweden, when a 3 cm drill being used to implant teeth fell from the dentist’s hands and into the woman’s throat – landing in her right lung.
The woman was, of course, laying down for the procedure and instinctively swallowed as the drill fell.
She was prompted to quickly sit up and force a cough, but it was too late.
She was rushed first to get an x-ray, and then a bronchoscopy, where microscopic cameras and pliers were sent down her throat to retrieve the tool.
Although the drill was removed and the woman was able to return home the next day, the incident was reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare.
Said medical chief Per Weitz to The Local, “What we’ve done at the clinic is to make sure everyone double checks that the drill is attached properly…unfortunately, drills are going to be dropped every now and then.”